Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Just another day...


Here are a couple of miniatures I just finished.

The first is called "Walking the Labyrinth", and is a 2" x 2" pen & ink/watercolor. The second, also pen & ink with watercolors, is called "Blue Vase" and measures 1.5" x 2.5".

I spend many hours doing these little things, and am inordinately proud of them.

I spent the day today re-registering my car, after having found an old letter from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles that showed me my registration expired approximately six weeks ago. (If you're not a Connecticut DMV hater, you can skip this part.) The renewal form noted that I owed delinquent vehicle taxes in Pomfret. So I called the Pomfret Tax Collector, and they said I was paid up. They suggested I stop by (about a forty-minute drive) and get a release showing the taxes had been paid.

So I called DMV, and waited on hold for approximately 25 minutes. When an "agent" was finally free to take my call, she informed me that no, I did not owe motor vehicle taxes in Pomfret--I owed them in Norwich. So I called the Norwich Tax Collector's office, and they said, nosirree, you're all paid up. I decided to take a drive to Norwich, which has a DMV branch in it anyway. The nice lady in the Norwich tax office stamped my registration form, filled out a little receipt, and wished me good luck with big soulful eyes.

The line at DMV was almost out the door, but it went quickly. I amused myself by pointing out to John (who, blessedly drove me around all day in his Miata) that the "agent" behind the counter had an extraordinarily bad toupee. When I got up to the counter, I said, "Hi, my name's Mabel Terry and..." "I know who you are", he said. Moment of dead silence. Is this the Grim Reaper? I pictured better hair.

"You don't recognize me, do you?" he said. "Fifth grade?" A blank look on my part. "I'm Mr. D!"

Oh, my God. Mr. DeBartolo.

"You were the smartest kid I ever saw," he said.

Yes, you are in the twilight zone.

Easiest time I ever had at the DMV.

2 comments:

butshebites said...

does the grim reaper have hair? giggle. you're too much.
luv
bsb aka alycat

May Terry said...

Well he does in all the Dia de los Muertos assemblages and nichos. And some damn fine accessories too.