Friday, May 11, 2007

I've been better...


Last night, after tossing and turning until after 3:00 a.m., I decided to take some pain medication.

I've done this several times over the past few weeks. I'll need to talk to my oncologist to try to figure out where the pain is coming from. My midsection hurts all the way around; my spine hurts, especially the lower thoracic spine; and my entire body aches in a way I can't really describe; it's not any one thing--I have joint pain, and muscle pain, and something that feels like nerve pain. In any case, I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but have felt it necessary several times to take narcotic painkillers left over from past visits to the dentist.

I do try to avoid taking the pills. Usually I get up and sit at the computer for a while, hoping that will distract me. Last night I surprised poor John on the potty, by walking in the bathroom and turning on the lights at about 2:45, camera in hand. But finally I did take the pills and went back to bed.

I fell asleep for a while, but then awoke with an awareness that there was some very acidic stuff sitting along the entire length of my esophagus. Unfortunately, I inhaled. My bronchi did not like what I inhaled, and I started to cough, which of course brought on more inhaling followed by more coughing, etc. I got up and tried to put out the fire with cool water, and finally took some baking soda in water. It was horrible.

I spent today feeling sick. I went to see my primary care physician, who suggested increasing my Nexium, and purchasing a bed wedge to reduce the GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disorder) symptoms. So I went to get a wedge, and picked up a cervical pillow while I was at it. I think they'll improve my sleep a lot.

Navelbine, the chemo I'm on now, can cause nausea and diarrhea or constipation, but is not particularly known for causing or worsening other gastric symptoms, such as reflux. Rapidly worsening liver metastases certainly could cause those symptoms. On the other hand, taking the narcotic with water, then lying down, may not have been the smartest thing to do. I guess I'll just have to wait until I see Dr. Schauer on Thursday to try to sort some of this out.

Wasn't that a cheery post?

May

No comments: