Thursday, September 20, 2007

More memories...

. . .
Once, when my mother was watching a Jacques Cousteau special on TV, she turned to me and said, "It's kind of a shame that people like that have to die, isn't it? I mean, he has such an interesting life". I remember being rather speechless.

The truth is, I think, that my mother didn't think that people like her were entitled to expect much of anything from life. She didn't resent it; she simply accepted it, and if something she considered fortunate came her way, she looked at it as a gift. I think that's how she felt about her last job, at the concession aboard the Orient Point ferry. I think the ocean represented freedom to her, or maybe I'm just projecting my own feelings on her.

A few more ramdom memories:

When my son Adam was about seven, he walked in on a conversation between his sister and her father and me. Bizzy had read the phrase [to give someone] 'the third degree'. She wanted to know what 'the third degree' was. Adam stopped, looked at her in surprise, and said, "The Ph.D." How could you not know that?

I remember once when Bizzy was about three, she was riding next to me in her carseat (legal in those days), very quiet, which was somewhat unusual for her. She suddenly asked me in an agitated manner, "Mommy, how can there be a biggest number, 'cuz, there's always one more?" Her concept of numbers had obviously grown, since not too long before saying that, she had been riding in the back seat, and had told her father and me, "You and Daddy must be really old". "You think so?" "Yeah...you must be--NINE!!"

I remember old post office boxes, skating behind the mill, wearing snow pants under my dress to school, walking down to Harriet's Open Kitchen to buy paregoric (opium!) for my mother, scratching the trees to find the black birch so I could cut off a tiny branch to chew on, and dutifully taking my 25 cents to school each week to learn to save, only to have the account emptied periodically by my parents to pay some overdue bill. To give my mother credit, she did ask, but... I'm still no good at saving money.

Finally here's the piece I entered in the Hygienic Art Gallery's breast cancer show. I put a fairly high price on it, so I can convince myself that that's why it didn't sell.


It's called--can you guess? "Stage IV". It actually looked pretty respectable there among the other pieces.

Back soon,
May
. . .

5 comments:

mousewords said...

May, I hope you don't mind me saying this--but you have every right to expect that your art can stand among the greatest, and fetch a high price.

That's a very moving and powerful piece. And your memories are sweet! :):) Thank you for sharing!

~Christine

Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

I like the collage, May. I hope you get a pile of money for it.

I've enjoyed reading your memories. Makes me want to write a few of my own in my "Me My Thoughts and I" blog. I tend to neglect that one, in favor of the art blog.

Are you talking about New London CT? I was born there. My Dad was a submariner. :)

Brightest blessings!

PS: I got a perm, when I was five from my Aunt Bettina. She was a REAL hairdresser...lol. Afterwards, she sprayed it blue! Thanks for the memories!

May Terry said...

Christina, why would I mind you saying that? Thank you so much! The important thing is, I guess, that I remained true to my vision. With the show being called 'In the Pink', someone has to let people know that many women (and men) die from this disease every day.

Bettina, I sure am talking about New London, Connecticut! I grew up in Waterford, right next door, and my mother worked in New London for many years. I don't know what the Sub Base is like in your memories, but it's like a small city now.

How cool is that!

May

mousewords said...

It's a blessing that you're using your art to help raise awareness. I'm just learning that it's a powerful tool for that!

lol, I had a lot of perms as a pre-teen--what can you do with poker-straight, fine hair? You make it a frizzball, that's what you do. :);)

~Christine

artbylmr said...

May, I love reading your memories. It might inspire me to open up more in my blog.

I love how they kept the neon restaurant sign in the new Gallery. I'm sure your piece held it's own among all the other works. I'm glad to see you showing some digital art again.

I added you to my list of links on my blog. If you get a chance maybe you can add me here.

Lynne