Monday, July 16, 2007

Cemetery and Japanese Garden pictures

. . .
A couple more from the Episcopal Church cemetery. I call this one 'Decay'.


This one is called 'Children's Stone'. I know it's hard to see, but the children whose memorial this is died at the ages of 13 months, 22 days; and nine months. I don't recall Edwin's dates. It's worth remembering that many families lost several children to what were most likely bacterial infections when there were no antibiotics available to treat them. They must have suffered a great deal. This sculptor's style is unusual; s/he added the two garlands of flowers to the stone, which I find very poignant.


This one is called 'The Relict'. Okay, so what's a relict? A widow, obviously, but where did the word come from? According to Wikipedia:

"A relict was also an ancient term for a widow, but has come to be a generic or collective term for widows and widowers." Really? I've never heard the word outside of an old graveyard. Nice carving, anyway, don't you think?


And now, for a complete change of pace: my friend Maura picked me up yesterday and we went to a local plant nursery. I'd been there before, but not in the last two or three years. Apparently the owner had been busy building a small Japanese garden. Here's one picture I took:

It's a lovely little place.

Well, enough photos for today, I guess. Have a good Monday.

May
. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you gave me your blog address recently! It's good to know what you are up to. Since I'm not real good at getting phone calls made, this is great. You are always in my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB